LA traffic jam

It continued raining this day as well. So when we woke up the morning, I wasn’t amused. I went downstairs with some bread and our tea mugs to use the inn’s toaster and tea machine (that was as far as breakfast went in the inn – not included, so we came prepared). I was surprised though that it even had those machines because it was more than we expected anyways. Luckily, it was dry-ish when we brought our stuff to our car, before we headed out to Malibu.

One of the more famous beaches along the coast is Malibu beach. I reckon it’s crowded and even more beautiful when it isn’t raining. However, we were on Malibu beach all alone wearing our beautiful blue and yellow rain ponchos. Yes. Nobody else was there. To be honest, they were smart. They weren’t out there in the rain, taking photos of water and sand. But hey! When in Rome. It isn’t as if I’ll be back there any time soon.

It was beautiful though. We continued our journey to Point DumĂ© (by car) – a cliff; the beaches were down the cliff. I have to admit, it was pretty, despite the rain. The foggy view gave a sense of peace. We walked a few small trails (on the cliff and down via some very steep stairs), before we went back to the car, carefully extracting ourselves from the drenched ponchos. Next stop: our airBNB in Cathedral City near Palm Springs, still in California. It would be our last stop in this state however.

When we checked how long a ride it would be the evening before, it told us it would take us three and an half hours (bit less than 200 miles; 320 kms) starting from the inn. Since we were already in Malibu, we had covered an hour of travel time so far.

So after lunch in one of the Subway (our big friend!) in Malibu and buying some post cards at CVS pharmacy (another discount pass!!), we set Google maps to direct us to Cathedral City and it told us, it would take us four hours. According to Google 3,5 – 1 = 4 hours. JK. There was some -understatement- traffic in LA. Since we didn’t have any other choice than going right through LA (going around it would take us much, much longer -LA is big), we just started queuing. 80 miles (130 kms) and a bit less than four hours later, we emerged on the other side of the city. Luckily it was raining cats and dogs. I can’t imagine it to be handy when driving, but it’d rather spend a rainy day in traffic than a beautiful and sunny day. The Americans kept me occupied as well.

You have all these different state plates, which is always nice to see. Although the Californian plates were a big majority. There was this family from Washington state that was probably on a holiday as well. Granny was also allowed to come. We already guessed that before we passed them from behind (see photo above).

An hour after getting out of LA traffic and its rain, we arrived in Cathedral City and it looked as if we arrived in some resort. It looked like how I imagined LA to be. However that turned out differently. That was before I ever visited LA.

Eric was our host for the night and he lived in a closed community. I don’t know about the people, but there was a wall around each neighbourhood and there was a gate. You could only get on the premises if you had the code. Which we had! Lucky us. When we went through the gate we were dumbstruck. It was sunny, there were all these pretty flowers, there was a neighbourhood pool. It looked like a resort.

Eric’s house was in the same luxury resort style as well. It was a welcome change to arrive in such a place to stay after being stuck in the rain for two days. The bed was heaven as well. Eric is a terrific host and was delighted with the small wooden shoes we gave him. We retired for the night early, because our first national park during our journey was on the program next. Best thing: we each paid $25 to stay at his place. It was brilliant :’)

Sophie Written by:

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *